The Society for the History of Emotions (SHE) is a project of the ARC Centre of Excellence for the History of Emotions, Europe 1100-1800 (CHE). It is a professional association for scholars interested in emotions as historically and culturally situated phenomena within past and present societies. The Society welcomes members working in the field of the history of emotions across the world, including independent scholars, early career researchers and postgraduates.
- To produce a journal called Emotions: History, Culture, Society in two issues each year;
- To organise conferences and similar events to further knowledge of the history of emotions;
- To establish the history of emotions as a widely-used framework for understanding past societies and cultures;
- To understand the changing meanings and consequences of emotional concepts, expressions and regulation over time and space.
- Convenor: Jacqueline Van Gent (The University of Western Australia)
- Secretary: Joanne McEwan (The University of Western Australia)
- Treasurer: Tanya Tuffrey (The University of Western Australia)
- Communications Officer: Erika von Kaschke (The University of Western Australia)
- Administrative Officer: Katrina Tap (The University of Western Australia)
- Postgraduate Representative: Jennifer Jorm (The University of Queensland), Rachel Allerton (Macquarie University)
- Journal Editors: Katie Barclay (The University of Adelaide), Andrew Lynch (The University of Western Australia)
- Ordinary members: Susan Broomhall (The University of Western Australia), Ute Frevert (Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin), Susan Matt (Weber State University), Piroska Nagy (Université du Québec à Montréal), Carly Osborn (The University of Adelaide), Miri Rubin (Queen Mary University of London), Peter Stearns (George Mason University), Giovanni Tarantino (The University of Western Australia), Stephanie Trigg (The University of Melbourne), Paul Yachnin (McGill University)
Download the SHE Statute
Become a member of the Society for the History of Emotions and receive two issues of the Emotions: History, Culture, Society (EHCS) biannual journal per year (starting from mid-2017).
Membership plus online journal:
- AUD70 (standard)
- AUD45 (concession - students and unwaged)
Membership plus printed journal and online journal access:
- AUD85 (standard)
- AUD60 (concession - students and unwaged)
Become a member of SHE
Donations help to fund essay and book prizes, and enable current or recent postgraduates who are currently unwaged to attend SHE conferences and events.